The Watershed Assistance Grant Program is a partnership between the Chesapeake Bay Trust (Trust) and the Maryland Departments of Natural Resources (DNR) and Environment (MDE).
This program provides support for watershed restoration project designs and permitting and for watershed planning and programmatic development. The ultimate goal of the projects funded through this opportunity will be improved water quality in the Maryland portion of the Chesapeake Bay watershed, the Maryland portion of the Youghiogheny watershed, and the Maryland Coastal Bays.
By funding the earliest phases of watershed restoration projects and planning, the funding partners aim to provide local governments and non-profit organizations the ability to position themselves to quickly advance implementation work. The funding partners hope the products of grants funded under this opportunity will enable grantees to:
- Leverage resulting designs, plans, or projects to craft future proposals for implementation funding to the Maryland Chesapeake and Atlantic Coastal Bays Trust Fund, grant programs at the Chesapeake Bay Trust, or other sources of support;
- Develop deliverables that will support local planning efforts such as Financial Assurance Plans (FAPs), Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) Implementation Plans, county-wide Green Infrastructure Plans, watershed action plans, and State of Maryland Phase III Watershed Implementation Plan (WIP) strategies and associated State Two-year Milestones.
What this funds: This grant program welcomes applications for projects in the state of Maryland. Applicants can request funds from one of the following project types.
- Type 1: Project Design
- Generally, requests are up to $100,000 for design of stormwater best management practices
- Generally, requests are up to $150,000 for design of stream restoration practices
- Type 2: Watershed Planning and Program Development
- Generally, requests are up to $75,000
Who can apply: Local governments, non-profit organizations, community and homeowner associations, faith-based organizations, and more. Please see the RFP for full list of organizations.
Is match required? Match is encouraged but not required.
Informational Webinar: You’re invited! Join the Chesapeake Bay Trust and funding partners for a virtual workshop to learn more about the Watershed Assistance Grant Program, the grant application process, and tips and tricks for submitting a robust, competitive proposal. Two workshop dates are available. Both workshops will have the same content focus; therefore, interested attendees need only attend one workshop. We hope to see you there!
- Wednesday, October 13, 2021 from 6PM to 7:15 PM – Register here: https://bit.ly/3o0S30d
- Monday, October 18, 2021 from 2PM to 3:15PM – Register here: https://bit.ly/3EKUQRf
Click on the workshop flyer below to download a PDF version of the flyer with registration links.